You’ll reap a host of benefits if you choose to install an underground automatic irrigation system:
- the practicality of being able to water your garden automatically, even when you’re away or on holiday, with no need to find a kindly neighbour or friend to do the job;
- the certainty that each area of the garden will receive exactly the water it needs, without waste and with economical running costs;
- complete absence of above-ground tubes, which can constitute an obstruction for a lawnmower: even the sprinklers are perfectly flush with the ground surface and are barely visible at a glance;
- noiseless operation, so no risk of disturbing your neighbours;
- an increase in the value of your home; on the modern housing market a well-kept garden with an automatic watering system is a definite bonus.
BEWARE OF THE COLD
In areas subject to frost, a drainage valve must be installed at the lowest point on each distribution line. When the circuit is closed and there is no flow, the drainage valve opens automatically to drain off any water left in the system, which might otherwise freeze and damage the tubes. When the water supply is turned on again the drainage valve closes automatically.